RE: Virus alert

California IBM Hoax
The following messages have been sent out by email. They are both copies of
the same hoax. This "virus" does not exist.

The hoax messages includes the following "warning":

Another new virus has been discovered. It arrives in an e-mail titled
"California IBM". Microsoft has announced that it is very bad, worse than
"Love Letter". There is no remedy or cure. It will consume all the
information in the hard drive, and will destroy Netscape Navigator and
Microsoft Internet Explorer. Do not open anything with this title, and pass
this message on to your e-mail contacts. Right now not many people know
about this, so please pass it on as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

Second sample of hoax message "warning" (French variation):

INFO MICROSOFT

Nouveau virus !!!

Microsoft nous prévient. Un nouveau virus a été découvert! Il arrivera par
e-mail intitulé:  CALIFORNIA IBM Microsoft a annoncé qu'il est très
puissant, plus encore que Love Letter. Il n'existe aucun remède, il avale
toute information du disque dur, détruit Netscape Navigator et Microsoft
Internet Explorer.

N'ouvrez rien s'intitulant ainsi, et passez ce message à tous vos contacts
e-mail. Peu de gens sont au courant, passez le message le plus rapidement
possible.

Merci.

Category: Hoax

Removal:

Please ignore any messages regarding this "hoax" and do not pass on any
messages regarding it. Passing on messages about this hoax serves only to
further propagate it.

Write-up by: SARC Engineer

  Tell a Friend about this Write-Up

 Symantec AntiVirus Research Center
 Main Information Page

 Download Updates
 Download the Latest Virus Definitions

 Virus Encyclopedia
 Search for Information on Viruses, Worms and Trojan Horses

 Virus Hoaxes
 Information on Virus Hoaxes

 Newsletter
 Email Sent from the Symantec AntiVirus Research Center

 Reference Area
 Learn About Virus Detection Technologies

 Submit Virus Samples
 Send Suspected Threats for Review