Re: Staining with Glyoxal

> There was a brief exchange on the list a short while back on the
> problem of staining when hardening with glyoxal. At the time I had
> not seen the problem and suggested to Judy that the staining might
> have resulted from other causes. Recent posts on the carbon list,
> however,  suggest that there is indeed a rather serious problem of
> staining when hardening papers with Glyoxal. It would be interesting
> to hear of the experiences of all who have been using Glyoxal in an
> effort to assess the nature and scope of the problem. There may be
> other factors that should be mentioned but I would be particulary
> interested to know the following.
>
> 1. Have you had any staining with Glyoxal?

The one time I tried hardening with Glyoxal the staining was two-fold: a
yellowish smearing effect and splotchy areas of paper that were made
transparent as if oiled.

> 2. What sizing method did you use?

I used sponge brushes to apply two layers of gelatin to one side of the
paper. I suspect that I would not have gotten the oiled effect if my paper
had been immersed in gelatin and thus coated on both sides.

> 3. Which papers are involved?
BFK Rives which I've used successfully for over 20 years, hardening the
gelatin in dilute formaldehyde. I have been using the same gallon of 1:40
formaldehyde for almost a decade though it is now about half a gallon.
Glyoxal has to be discarded frequently, I gather.

> 4. At what point did you notice the stain? (right away, at one month,
> four months, etc?)
Right away.

> 5. Have you found any way of removing the stain, and if so, what?
I lost interest in using glyoxal, especially since it could be as hazardous
as formaldehyde and needs to be replaced rather than replenished.

> Thanks for your comments.
Please let us know the results of your survey.
Thank you.
Sarah Van Keuren