Re: D-76 to Lc-1

At 04:13 PM 08/01/2001 -0400, you wrote:
><< bicarbonate - that would be baking soda, correct?
>
>Yes I believe sodium bicarbonate is either baking soda or baking powder. I
>never remember which one, but it is easy to check the package.   :-)
>
>>> Any ideas on how much baking soda should be added to a litre of Dektol to
> make it act like 2:3:5 LC-1 ?
>  >>

>No idea at all. If one would start experimenting, I would suggest trying
half
>the amount of bicarbonate in a litre of water, then do some 5:1, 5:2, 5:3,
>5:4, 5:5 tests. One might need to fine-tune it after the first set of tests.
>
>But the prepackaged Dektol uses potassium carbonate, and baking soda (or
>powder) is sodium bicarbonate. Sil said that it's not good to mix the two. I
>can't remember why though....

  According to the MSDS packaged Dektol contains sodium carbonate and does
not contain any sodium bicarbonate. Potassium carbonate tends to be very
delequescent and is not really suitable for packaged powder. Its advantage
is in highly concentrated liquid formulations.
  It may also have somewhat different reactivity from the sodium form, some
claim they get better results by using potassium salts in warm tone
developers.

>If I had the time, I would be interested in testing it out too..... but the
>fact is I haven't made any print since I took a new job last year! I am
>planning to do it again before this summer ends though.    :-(
>

>Dave S

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.