Re: Digital negatives for gum printing

Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:

> A friend of mine is trying out gum printing.  To get started he printed
> out a negtive on transparency film on his laser-printer at work.
>
> He got a decent looking single coat gum print on his first try.  He asked
> me if this was cheating.

Hi Gord,
What was your answer?

When I was printing negatives on a laser printer, I printed them as
stochastic bitmaps, finding the regular screen pattern too obvious for
my taste. It's interesting that your friend got a good print from the
regular dot screen, if that's what he did, but then laser printers
nowadays are often 600 or 1200 dpi, so the screen pattern wouldn't be as
obvious as at 300.

Katharine