Re: Ilford EM10 meter help

At 06:59 PM 8/4/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I just picked up an used Ilford EM10 exposure meter.  The unfortunate thing
>is that it doesn't have any instructions. Could any EM10 use be kind enough
>to tell me how to use this meter.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Joe Portale
>Tucson, AZ

It's pretty easy, it works as a comparator. You set the dial to a tested
value and read a selected portion of the projected negative, adjusting the
f-stop until the green led lights. The two red leds represent over and
under values. A quick start is to set the dial to whatever number is noted
on the back label, usually 29 or 30 and read an area of the neg that prints
full black. Then find a time that gives that full black with your
paper.  After you develop and dry down the print look at areas giving the
light grey, 18%, dark grey, etc and note the number the dial is at when you
read that area under the enlarger, this time adjusting the dial until the
green lights up. Use and refine these numbers to get a quick setting for a
properly exposed print. And remember, you have to think and choose the
areas you read and the times you choose, so this is not a replacement for
good printing sense. Have fun with it!