Re: why not small prints?

Remarkably, many of the "classic" images made by the great photographers are
contact prints made from small negatives - the thing being that many of us
have seen these photos reproduced in catalogues or monographs and expect them
to be BIG PRINTS in reality...when we see them in an exhibition we are
sometimes underwhelmed.  I've learned to temper my expectations and
appreciate the intimacy of the experience of viewing small prints...some made
with the "vest pocket" cameras of days gone by.  There's a Weston show that's
currently onview at the Art Institute here in Chicago and all of the prints
are 8X10 contacts...even 8X10 can seem small some times compared to 20X24's
or whatever...but, hey, that's what EW intended them to be...who am I to
question the intentions of the artist?