RE: Digital Negatives and Linotronic film output?

>I wonder why there is a need for double exposure. Why not expose the
>full time through the aquatint stochastic screen?

The stocastic "Aquatint" screen would only be a maze of dots gizing the allusion of 80% grey. What a double exposure process does, is make sure there are some dots in the dark part of you negative, allowing the scraping of the plate to leave ink in those areas instead of pulling it out.

That is my understanding.

You could make a stocasticly screened positive of your photo. But by having the aquatint screen you can use any of your enlarged INTERPOSITIVES you have around to make a photgravure plate. You can reuse an aquatint screen.

Retail aquatint screens (output from an imagesetter) are highly marked up in price. An example, printex.com sells an 80% 150 line stocastic screen 8x10" for $58. You can output your own for around $10. Same film, most likely same imagesetter.

I'm on a budget so $10 sounds good to me. $58 can pay for several solarplates to practice with.

Good luck.

This really seems like a fun and inexpensive way to have your own photogravure.

Mac

>Brahma

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/