RE: Dmax of VD prints

Judy Seigel wrote:

> > As for tests with the step wedge, I wonder what kind of tonal range
> > people are getting with VD, and if this varies with papers? I ask
> > because my understanding from the literature is that the process has
> > a exposure scale of about 1.4-1.6, or about 5+ stops. Yet the
> > sensitizer I mixed up a few days ago, to the exact specifications of
> > classic VD, has an exposure scale of about 2.7, or nine  stops. That
>

>It has been my (expressed) opinion that whoever says "the scale is such
>and such" without stating on what paper is not to be trusted. It has been
>my finding that scale of all these processes tends to change with the
>paper (among other variables).

The paper I used for the above test was Rives Aquarelle. I also
obtained a very similar result on Fabriano Artistico. And I am still
interested in knowing whether the scale really varies with different
papers, but opinions don't count here -- what I seek is information
derived from real live testing!

Sandy King