RE: Pictorico Re: Digital negatives for gum printing

Judy,

You might try the 'backlight film' setting and 1440 dpi. I remember hearing
(reading) backlight film puts down the most ink. I get a lot more density
than that with the Epson inks and driver, but it goes black so fast at that
end of the scale that the correction curve is a whopper if you want to use
it all (the density), a density 1.2 or so negative should be ok though. Also
set the paper thickness lever to + for the pictorico and do a head alignment
at that setting.

The pictorico has so little dot gain that any dither pattern present shows
through. It's been very frustrating as it is the only stuff I've found that
holds enough ink to get the density up there. I was planning on re-visiting
the epson driver for this as the non-dithered piezo rip shows a pattern
badly. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend, if so I'll let you know what I
find out.

I recently did an excel spreadsheet (had a slow day at work) that does the
interpolation for making the photoshop transfer function correction values
from densitometer readings off of a printed step wedge, just plug em in and
it spits out the % values for the curve. If you can use it let me know and
I'll put it up on the web or send it to you. It's up on the B&S web board as
well.

Larry