Re: That nasty stain, was double dipping

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/01/01-08:50:33 AM Z

> On the other hand, for printing with VC papers the actual printing
> contrast of density of a stained negative is somewhat less than the
> blue channel indicates. This fact explains why Carl Weese gets double
> duty from his negatives that serve for printing in silver but also in
> Pt/Pd. Or at least that is how I understand the question.
>
> Sandy King

Sandy,

It's actually that the stain "looks" low contrast to a VC paper, and
since it's proportional, the highlights print lower in contrast than the
thin areas of the negative. Since the same stain color looks
high-contrast to Pt/Pd paper, the negative can suit both processes at
the same development.---Carl