RE: MOUNTING

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 12/02/01-01:09:47 PM Z

Uh Ohh... This is travel in dangerous territory!...Andy, For the
record, you asked, I am not giveing advice, I only shared what I do and
have done. I think I don't know what anyone else should do, I claim no
authority so I'll take no responsibility for what you choose to do.
Advance at your own risk!
But IF I were to offer advice it would be to mount up a practice sheet
of paper before you ruin your good print. I'd think about spacing your
supports 6" to 8" apart and about 1.5" -2" in from the paper edge,
paste them so the crease is vertical, but not all in one direction, you
don't want your print to shift in any one direction. Your paper size is
about twice the size as anything I have "floated" in a frame, and I'd
tend to use more 1" wide supports rather than fewer wider supports, it
would reduce the possibility of the print from having large bows/bulges
as it floats in the space. Also I started doing this because I was
shipping some prints to New York and didn't want them to fall apart in
transit. You'll need to find a backing support that will not bow from
the weight of itself and the paper hanging on it. Maybe you'll have to
attach/paste your 4ply matboard to 1/2' thick foam board?
 For making the 1/2" air space between the back support and the glass,
like I said, I cut
1/2" wide strips of 3/16" foam board and attach them to the inside of
the wooden frame with a few spots from my hot glue gun, because it's is
easier to remove than Yes paste. The 3/16 width does not stick out past
the edge of the frame. Since it's hard to make written process
descriptions understandable here's a picture. Kind'a hard to see white
on white...<http://members.cruzio.com/~omirag/frame.jpg>
hope this is helpful for your framing situation.
garimo

wanna' see where I build my frames?
<http://members.cruzio.com/~omirag/studio.jpg>