glyoxal plus

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/06/01-01:20:33 PM Z

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Ted Edkins wrote:

> Judy, glyoxal should keep better at a lower temperature than room temp so a
> frig is useful. Another possibility is to add some sodium bicarbonate to
> reduce the acidity. Add the sod bicarb until the fizzing stops.

The bicarbs do it the least, but alkali tends to turn the glyoxal orange
(for BRIGHT orange try sodium carbonate). I found 1/2 tsp carbonate of
soda was the maximum per litre before bad color change, and gave it up
because I was always a little antsy about that. I wasn't doing it to
*preserve* the glyoxal, rather in the belief that the bonds of the gelatin
are strengthened by the alkali in hardener (as told to me by a chemist,
though that's a hard one to test & I didn't).

My pH meter is non useful (some complicated calibrating solutions I never
got the hang of), but the idea that alkali could extend life of the
glyoxal is interesting -- I'll put it on the list ! Unfortunately, I've
found the only way to actually test if the glyoxal is still good, is to
make a print... and that also gets to be more drawn out than seems worth
it, at least on a regular basis.

My rule of thumb has been, does it still have characteristic odor? But
all things considered (including the state of my refrigerator) it's more
*economical* to plan the hardening as a batch, & then throw the stuff out.

(I use 15 cc stock glyoxal per litre of hardener solution -- if 500 cc of
the stuff costs $30 delivered... that's what, about 75 cents per litre? )

However, on the 3rd hand -- if you have a handier way to TEST the glyoxal
without having to actually print the emulsion on the paper (and always
with a known strip for control !), THAT would be splendid...! ?????

Hopefully.....

Judy