Re: Chrome alum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/10/01-12:14:18 AM Z

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Sandy King wrote:
> Well, that aside I am going to be a fly in the wine. Regardless of
> whether Scopcick discovered the fact, or repeated something said by
> someone else (most likely), the fact of the matter is that chrome
> alum (potassium chromium sulfate) does harden better than potassium
> alum (potassium aluminum sulfate), or at least in equal amounts it
> does the job much faster. I mentioned some days ago that I use both

Well, Sandy, you may know that, and I've certainly heard that, but don't
give Scopick any credit for saying so, in or out of the wine. The only
comparative literature on the subject he offers is that Chrome alum has
"tanning action greater than that of ordinary white alum," though as far
as I can see, he never MENTIONS white alum again, ordinary or
extraordinary. Do we have it, know it, use it?

True, the potassium alum entry describes that as "common alum" and says
it's colorless, but never calls it "white." I am considered white, but
definitely not colorless. Is this the way to write a manual?

He also says the potassium (colorless) alum keeps its hardening properties
much better than chrome alum in solution, but gives no criteria for time
or hardening properties in either entry.... which you do below. Thank you.
Did you figure that out yourself or read it somewhere? If the latter,
where?

Finally, if Scopick anywhere gives a formula or instructions for hardening
with either of the alums it is NOT in the index with the alum entry.

As I've said frequently, if I want a puzzle, the NY Times crossword is
better.

PS.: wouldn't you accomplish the semi-hardening just as well by using a
weaker solution?

Judy