Re: Turn of the HTML PLEASE !!!Re: Hello. . . ?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 12/15/01-03:43:00 PM Z

At 01:54 PM 12/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I seem to be getting messages ok with out all the computer language.....
>"Plain text" is on ... how is this one coming thru?.. John Cremati.

  And etc. Because you are using Microsoft Outlook Express, which
translates the HTML into text. Even when plain text is sent in HTML the
size of the post is more than doubled since the messege is sent once in
text form and again with all the formatting instructions.
  If its viewed on a mail reader which displays only text the formatting
instructions are quite visible, and in some cases, the message is nearly
unreadable. In other mail readers the HTML may not be translated correctly
so one receives a mish-mosh of large and small text, or text in strange
colors, etc.
  Another problem with some mail clients (Eudora is one of them) is that it
can be set to sent original messages in plain text but to reply to
formatted ones in HTML. The formatting should be turned off for replys
also, there is always a setting for this somewhere.
  Outlook Express seems to come with all the bells and whistles turned on
by default so you must turn them off in the settings.
  Considering that many people on mailing lists are on slow connections, or
expensive ones, its not only good practice to send in plain text but
courteous as well.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA