Re: Pyro stain redux: was About that pigment test

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 12/18/01-05:45:17 PM Z

Carl wrote:

>What film(s) has this worked with? Different films have dramatically
>different stain reactions. I stick with a plain water stop and use Kodak
>Rapid fix without any hardener added. When I tried special non-acid fix it
>smelled horrible and didn't work any better.---Carl

I use Tmax 400, Tri-X and FP4. All showed the same behavior. The water I had
been using for the stop is from a well and has a pH of 7 but seems to
contain a lot of iron in solution, judging from the sludge that accumulates
in my wash tank after a while. I also had been using the TF-4 alkaline
fixer. I haven't had a chance to do a controlled experiment to see if it is
the stop or the fixer that is giving me the problem. I did dilute the TF-4
with distilled water instead of tap water, however, and that did not solve
the problem. Plain old Kodak fixer seems to work fine - although I gather
that the hardener is probably not needed because of the tanning action of
the pyro.

Strangely enough, I did not have the same non-image stain problem with
Pyrocat-HD and the water stop/TF-4 combination. I use the Pyrocat-HD for my
7x17 negatives because it seems to have less uneven development problems in
the jobo print drums I use for the big negatives.

Clay