Re: Re. Increasing Film sensitivity

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 12/28/01-05:12:56 PM Z

DEAR RICHARD,
    Weeeeeeeeel, we may have to agree to disagree. The ANSI (ASA have
been out of circulation for a few decades) standard has the film developed
specifically to a certain contrast index which has NEVER related to my work
or the work of many other photographers that I have either learned from or
taught. The speed point IS NOT related to minimum density directly but to a
density above base plus fog WHEN developed to the CI which no one ever seems
to use. My professors were Hollis Todd who wrote PHOTOGRAPHIC SENSITOMETRY
(the bible), Mr. Rickmers who, with Todd wrote the book on applying
statistical analysis to sensitometry and T.H JAMES who wrote THEORY OF THE
PHOTOGRAPHIC PROCESS. James was the director of research at Kodak for a few
decades and THEY ALL told me that, though certain tendencies were
manufactured into films (yes, we actually made emulsions, ripened them,
sulfur, gold, and dye sensitized them, then coated and tested them) it is
the FILM/DEVELOPER combination that determines ALL of the characteristics of
the final image. Who am I to argue with both them and the results of the
tests that we conducted as students. I have seen Tri-X, T-max 400, Agfa
Pan, etc. developed to many different speeds, graininesses, contrasts, and
latitudes...it just ain't so that it is done during manufacture. Please
consider reading T.H. James's THEORY OF THE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROCESS.
    So we agree to disagree...
                    CHEERS!
                            BOB