Re: Stain Redux - Pyrocat HD and Tri-X: was Double Dipping (fwd)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/31/01-06:12:27 PM Z

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 02:30:37 -0500
From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Re: Stain Redux - Pyrocat HD and Tri-X: was Double Dipping

Clay,

I did not see your original message regarding the fog+ stain you got
on the border areas when using Pyrocat with TRI-X. The first thing
that pops into my mind is to ask about the age of your stock solution
of Pyrocat? I mention this because the shelf life of Pyrocat, when
mixed with phenidone, is probably no greater than about three months.
When the Pyrocat stock solution goes bad the result is a lot of extra
base stain, somewhat irregular - even splotchy- and very observable
on the clear edges of the film.

With TRI-X developed in fresh Pyrocat I have not observed elevated
overall stain levels or excessive general fog.

Sandy King