Films and PhotoArts Santa Fe

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/04/01-10:59:04 AM Z

For the 2003 PhotoArts Santa Fe -- 2 years hence -- we are looking at
having a mini "Photography in Film" festival along with PhotoArts 2003. In
the Santa Fe area we have over 30 screens and @ 65,000 population so we are
doing pretty good in that department. Four of them show art films exclusively.
I've done some searches on cinema and photography and it is useless. Too
many hits on photography that aren't about content.

Sooo. Anyone know any films about photographers or photography or to put it
on topic, any films about alt photography? That is asking a bit much but
the Governess comes close with it's pseudo-Talbot story. I guess Talbot is alt?

I know this is probably not a serious enough topic off some here but being
a knowledgeable group, I thought we could pick some brains and get some help.

What we've come up with so far and of course quality is not a criteria here
just the fact that photography plays some role in the films content.:

Under Fire -- Nick Nolte
The Governess -- Minnie Driver
The Bridges of Madison County -- though barely as photography counts for
little in the film.
Salvador -- James Woods in. A great one.
Pecker
Blow Up
Eyes of Laura Mars
Public Eye -- Joe Pesci as Weegee!
Photographing Fairies -- Conan Doyle and his ultra-gullibility
Pretty Baby

Any more? Especially Pre-1960?

The calendar for PhotoArts 2001 (July 6 thru 15) is at:
www.photoartssantafe.com. We now have over 45 venues, with shows, lectures,
openings and other photo related events like the Project Symposium and
APIS. All of this is crammed into a 10 day period that also coincides with
the Site Santa Fe International and the Santa Fe Opera season. All of the
venues are within a 5 mile radius making travel easy. PhotoArts is a
not-for-profit venture of the Santa Fe Council for the Arts. (I am a
Steering Committee member and Melody Bostick is the Project Director.
Neither of us are paid. Bostick & Sullivan is a PhotoArts Sponsor.)

We have about 10 more slots left for APIS. PhotoArts 2003 is already in the
planning stages and promises to be even bigger than this year's.

--Dick Sullivan