Re: Basic chemistry question

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 06/08/01-09:45:05 PM Z

Instead of going through all this, why don't you just pop over to the auto
parts store and buy some battery acid? Battery acid is sulfuric acid. I
forgot what the strength is, but it will be listed on the side of the
carton. If not, ask the guy behind the counter for a MSDS when you buy it.
(they must supply it on request).

Messing around with old batteries can be dangerous. Besides, the chemistry
going on inside a battery is not pure. There will be trace amounts of lead,
tin, antinomy, copper and some other stuff floating around in it. I think
the cost for a liter of battery acid was about $4.00 the last time I looked.

Just my two cents worth.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ