re: I'll think of it in a minute/oh, heck/artistic freedom

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 06/11/01-02:09:28 AM Z

At 15:09 11.06.01 +0930, you wrote:
>I read some years ago that left wing bands in Germany had been >prosecuted
for using swastikas in album cover artwork, despite >using the symbols in
an anti fascist context.
>Attempts to protect people from ugly ideas can limit the very >people
>opposing those ideas. Birdie

Nazi symbols must not be used in public in Germany; it is forbidden to
propagate the "Ausschwitz lie" as are some forms of conduct, like greeting
with the raised arm in Nazi fashion.

While I am certainly in favour of intellectual freedom, I do think there
*are* limits, namely when the rights or the dignity of others are seriously
impaired by somebody exercising what he/she thinks are his/her own rights.
I personally find it questionable that the KU-Klux-Clan is still legal in
the USA.

Certainly this has nothing to do with alt photo, but what about artistic
freedom and aesthetics in photography? I certainly very much admire the
pictures of Ortis Echague, but I have read once he was also a public figure
in Franco's Spain, and I wondered uneasily twice or trice whether traces of
this ay not be found in his art. Or what about Leni Riefenstahl?

Lukas