Re: Cheap fixer

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06/11/01-12:52:44 PM Z

At 11:07 AM 06/11/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I have run across a low cost source for fixer. If anyone else knows of a
>better deal let me know. Check out:
>
>http://www.chemistrystore.com/
>
>Even with expensive shipping from FL it is at least 1/2 the cost that I have
>been able to find on a local level. At first I was dismayed as it comes in
>LARGE crystals and they take a while to dissolve. I tried the powder and
>found breathing fixer dust was offensive so,now, I am now happy to take a
>little longer to get the stuff to dissolved.
>
>..
  Crystaline thiosulfate was pretty much standard some time ago. Nearly all
fixer forumuas specify it.
  Beware that in crystaline form it is very endothermic and should be mixed
with hot water (125F). The anhydrous form will begin to decompose if mixed
much over 90F.
  The cooling effect of thiosulfate crystals is used as a lab trick when a
cooling bath is wanted and no ice is available.
  Packaged powder fixers almost all use the anhydrous form because its much
lighter.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.