Re: Dan Burkholder's book

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam_pine@cape.com)
Date: 06/18/01-07:42:51 AM Z

You speak too soon, Jack, maybe I've got quite a bit more of a clue
than you can possibly imagine. I've been self employed for more than
20 years in the software development business, including publishing
software packages we've built. And yes, we've been stiffed by
resellers, rarely, normally when a smaller one goes bankrupt; but the
larger ones provide credibility and exposure that we couldn't begin to
buy via advertising.

There is just no way that a small press can spend enough to get the
advertising provided by Amazon (note that Dan's book is selling at
rank # 38,000+ on Amazon), the referrals based on Amazon's software,
etc.

My question was with the word "give", which sounds like Amazon and
other resellers aren't doing anything for their money. At a minimum,
the packaging and shipping and credit card sales management is
extremely valuable, particularly as you get into larger sales volumes.
Maybe your's and Judy's customers are happy with waiting a week or two
until you've batched enough sales to make it worthwhile to package and
ship, paying by check (God, what a pain), paying twice what Amazon and
other resellers charge for shipping books (no way I'd pay $12 for
anyone to ship me a book unless it's worth a small fortune and
insurance costs are high, or maybe if it's currently residing in
foreign lands and I must buy it); but our customers never were. As a
very active reader and book buyer, I prefer paying by credit card over
the phone or net, receiving an ordered item within a week at the most.

In general, I'd agree that the book publishing industry is rotten,
right up there with the music industry, when it comes to rewarding
creators for their work; but I'd suggest that it's not fair to lump in
good resellers with the bad. If Amazon pays relatively promptly and
Borders does not, then why tar Amazon?

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer