RE: POP a la Liam

From: Liam Lawless (lawless@ic24.net)
Date: 06/18/01-04:23:29 PM Z

Andre,

Thought I'd better say something as I feel responsible for your plight, but
really can't think of anything much! From what you say, it appears to be a
silver problem: the amount of silver I specified in the article should give
near optimal results, and adding more should not make a significant
differenxce to the image quality. The fact that it did suggests that your
saturated silver solution is deficient in some way. With too little silver
for the amount of salt employed (or an insufficient excess of Ag), printing
is very slow and D-max too low for a satisfactory print.

By omitting the sod. citrate and substituting extra sod. chloride, you have
upset the balance of the ingredients, but not by very much, and your change
should, in fact, result in a greater silver excess than provided by the
published formula. This is therefore not the cause of the trouble. Sounds
like your gelatin's OK too; I haven't heard of heating it in a microwave and
am not sure it's a good idea, but if it's worked for you before...

Afraid you'll have to investigate your solutions, but humidity is another
factor that could be playing a part. If you're getting the paper too dry by
means of a hair drier, or if you're working in the desert, this could also
be affecting sensitivity and density. I wouldn't have thought to the extent
that you describe, but maybe something else for you to think about.

Liam