Re: Pyrocat Development Information

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 03/01/01-08:29:14 PM Z

Carl,

I was surprised by the TXT times in comparison to HP5+ as well, and it may
well be caused by the outdated film, or a slow response to
pyrocatechin.However, I tested two different TXT films, one from 5X7 stock,
another cut from 12X20 film, and am pretty sure about the validity of the
testing method and the results.

Just for the record, my film testing method is as follows. First, I
expose 5 sheets of film to a Stouffer 4x5 step wedge by contact printing
(using my enlager as a light source, with a 80A filter). Exposures are
timed with a Metrolux which is accurate to 1/100 of a second. I then
develop the films at 72F in tubes with constant rotation, each sheet for a
different time, using 150ml of devleoper per 5X7 film (or the equivalent
with other films). In the case of most of the films mentioned the times
were 6,9,12,15 and 20 minutes. I then read the densities with the blue
filter of a transmission densitometer and plot the results with Phil Davis'
plotter program.

Sandy