Re: Daguerreotype questions

From: fb (aikus@freemail.c3.hu)
Date: 03/01/01-04:15:28 PM Z

Hi,

In the main age of the daguerreotype the mostly used type of plate was
the 40 quality signed one.

In this case the 1/40 part of the whole weight (mass) of the plate is silver
and the thickness of the plate (both layer together: silver and copper) 0.4 -
 0.5 mm. Plates like this was useful with a metal sheet film holder of my
wooden camera casettes (wooden casettes originally for glass plates )

About the special literature that silver layer was enough thick for 2-3
times using a plate. (Wrong or unnecessary pictures was removed by
polishing before resensitisation. The number of reusability up to the
evenness and smoothness of layers and the overexposed/"developed"
picture is often unremovable at the highlights.)

Balint Flesch
archaist/conservation photographer
Budapest
Hungary