Re: Copyright Law Violation - was Re: book

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 02/11/01-03:33:26 AM Z

This is an amazingly complicated subject. What makes it worse is that the
ease in which material can be taken from the web. Courts are just now
beginning to come to grips with this issue, and lawyers are just
beginning to see how much money can be made defending and instigating
lawsuits.

i was once threatened with a lawsuit because some of the graphics on my
web site were the same graphics as on another site that was designed by a
professional web designer. The problem was that we both happened to use
the same clip art from the same library, and the person threatening me
was under the impression that the clip art was designed just for their
web site.

Unfortunately, it is easy to pull a graphic from a web site - just right
click and save. There are ways to prevent copying the image by a right
click, but the image most likely gets saved in your cache folder anyway.
When you think about it literally, there is no way to avoid this copying
and saving of images when you view a web site. The web simply does not
work unless the material is copied.

someone wrote (and I copied without permission):

>>Unlike a book which can be read with out copying. it is not possible to
view HTML or >>>Images from the net with copying. The question of a
violation is what is done with >>>>this material after it is copied. It
can't be sold. Can it be sent to a friend on the >>..Internet? I would
say so as long as that person would have a reasonable >>>.expectation to
have access to the original material.

I can't sell your images without permission, but I can send them without
fear simply because we both might be very old by the time it winds up in
court. That is part of the problem - images copied from a web site is a
low priority for the courts.

The problem will only get worse as time goes on.

Bob