Re: Gum print on canvas

From: Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Date: 03/14/01-03:53:07 PM Z

Judy, Eirik,

it is not a good idea to impregnate canvas with gelatine. The fabric becomes
hard and stiff, it looses its textile quality completely. Besides, it is
nearly impossible to wash away the hardener. If you do not care, why not use
white acrylic paint, that gives a perfect ground, as one can put as thick a
layer as one likes, it is still perfect for gum emulsion.

The best thing is to use pure gum solution before applying the emulsion.
Yes, it is water-soluble and will wash away after developing the first
layer. So you would need to put a new layer of impregnating gum before each
new layer of the emulsion. It is a long way to go, but in that way one can
retain some of the fabric quality. Gum itself makes the fabric stiff, so the
question is what you are looking for.

The best gum I have seen on textile material was on a very thin and tight
cotton, which has been cooked to remove all the impregnating materials from
the factory. But that is not canvas.

Another way to avoid the emulsion sinking into the depths of the canvas is
to dry it the emulsion side down, but first it has to be stretched on a
frame, which should be put in some kind of a drying support, so that the
surface of the canvas is not touching anything. Canvas is not absorbing the
emulsion too quickly, so one can actually manage to turn the frame around
before the emulsion starts to go further into the cloth.

Sorry I am so late to reply, hope it is still relevant.

Galina Manikova.