Re: Kallitype Permanence (was Real People)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/14/01-05:03:43 PM Z

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Sandy King wrote:

> There is another possibility other than the one you suggest, i.e. that
> people don't care about permanence. It could be that most of these persons
> are so ignorant of process that it never even crossed their mind to
> question the permanence of a photograph? In other words, they might not
> even be aware that there is a problem of permanence!! You can't be
> concerned about a problem if you don't know there is one.

How about another possibility? The basics of painting & drawing are
familiar, archival colors & pH neutral paper are on the label when we buy
art supplies and we have a rough idea from 2000 years or so how they'll
hold up. Photography (especially our own non-mainstream processes) is
still being figured out... and has a much wider variance (how cleared, how
washed, how fixed, or toned) than most marks made on paper, wet or dry.

Judy