Re: Daguerreotype/Cold-Mercury development

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 03/19/01-04:39:18 PM Z

Manuel,

I have never heard of a cold mercury process so I cannot help you with that. The Becequerel process is very simple. I have never done it but have seen plates that were developed this way.They look OK to me but have a different color than a mercury developed plate and perhaps less contrast. For the Becequerel process, the plate is only fumed in iodine. The color of the plate is not the usual straw yellow but some other color which I forget. YThe plate is developed by exposing it to red light for several hours. I believe one way of doing this is putting a red filter (red glass) on top of the plate holder and putting it out in the sunlight and pulling out the darkslide.

The Daguerreian Society published a paper on the Becequerrel process in one of its annuals along with some color photos of Becquerrel plates. They are at 3045 West Liberty Ave., Suite 7, Pittsburgh,PA 15216

Bob Schramm