bleach/etch or mordancage

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 03/21/01-11:17:14 AM Z

I think the original poster about this topic, about a year or so ago, was
Jonathan Bailey. Then there was a remention in the last couple months,
where Judy S. said that bleach/etch and mordancage were the same process.
Anyway, in rereading the posts I saw that Jonathan was interested in
anything in print on this topic. I have come across, in researching other
stuff, two mentions of it. One is in Ilford Monochrome Darkroom Practice by
Jack Coote, pp. 299-304. The other was an article in Shutterbug called
Bleach Etch by Frances Schultz, oct 1998, pp. 30-36. I've had it in my file
of alt processes since then--sometimes when you file things you never find
them! If the list is interested I can condense the info into a post.
     The formula in the Ilford manual is 30g copper chloride, 100 ml of
acetic acid 80%, and water to make 1000ml, with an added hydrogen peroxide
20vol just prior to use. The Shutterbug article calls Hydrogen Peroxide
20vol equivalent to 6%. Is this correct? The Shutterbug formula only has
80ml of the glacial acetic acid, but otherwise is the same (oh--is 100ml 80%
acetic acid equiv to 80ml glacial acetic? If so, the two formulae are
identical)(can you tell I didn't take chemistry?) These two formulae differ
quite a bit in measure from Jonathan's, but not in content.
Chris