Re: bleach/etch or mordancage

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/22/01-01:29:43 PM Z

It's too early in the AM (2:15 PM) for me to attempt to read French, and I
know from grim experience that technical French has a specialized vocab.
not in my dictionary. So thanks Roger, I'm going to file your reference
for next time I have a technical French person in the vicinity. (I know
someone who knows someone who knew someone....)

Meanwhile, I dare say that we seem to be fighting the battle of small
differences -- folks have put a slight twist on a basic process and given
it their "own" name. The PRINCIPLE is to destroy the developed silver
(the black stuff) by a copper bleach (and I've used about 5 somewhat
different formulas with equal success, given differences of time and
temperature and elbow grease -- just like developing a gum print. It
varies by temperature of water, length of exposure, and time.... And I
promise I had NO TROUBLE with drugstore hydrogen peroxide, tho of course
that was a NYC drugstore.

THEN, do what you like. You can tone the remaining silver. You can dye the
white paper base exposed. You can do a sabattier before bleaching (which I
did) and add an extra layer of complexity to how it redevelops/bleaches.
Redevelop in toner, or "warm tone" developer.... whatever.

But saying Mordancage is only after fixing is.... to tie one hand
behind your back. One charm of the process is no need to fix...

You can tone AND dye. Etc. I'll add that I first heard of the process
from Pierre Cordier who did NOT mention Sudre, but an earlier Frenchman
Mariage (or Marriage). And I do have a good explanation in ENGLISH which I
actually put on this list long ago. The file at present, however, is in
the darkroom, which somebody is using in the dark. If it's where I
remember it, I'll confirm these points and cite the source... but all this
makes me think that if I have a spare page in upcoming P-F (which at the
moment threatens to go backwards as fast as I do), rather than cast my
peroxide before doubters AGAIN, I'll put it there. So there!!

love & kisses,

Judy