Re: Direct negatives from slides

From: Sam Wang (stwang@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/24/01-02:47:16 PM Z

At 2:22 AM -0500 3/25/01, Sandy King wrote:
>Does anyone on the list have experience in making negatives for alternative
>processes directly from slides? If so I would like to know how this works,
>and in particular would be interested in a response to the following
>questions.

Yep. Many of my non-digital negatives for tricolor gum were made that
way, with only some "in-camera" separations. I thought you knew that.
Works well. Except the "difficulty" of using panchromatic films under
the enlarger.

>1. Does one determine the exposure for the slide material differently if
>the final goal is to make negatives from the slides.

Nope. Any well exposed slide will do.

>2. Assuming the use of a 6x9cm camera and enlarged negatives to no larger
>than about 12X18", would there be any practical advnatage in either grain
>or sharpness to the user of a slow speed slide material of ISO 50 over a
>faster one of ISO 400.

Yes. Slower films give finer grain and sharper detail. In some cases
where the paper shrinkage between printings might prevent rendition
of fine detail you may not notice the differences. However, with
monochrome anything, especially carbon, you surely will see the
difference.

Sam