Re: Clearing Gum Prints

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/26/01-06:03:16 PM Z

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Peter Fredrik wrote:
> > FULLY OXIDIZED..... IF WHATEVER TINGE OF ORANGE REMAINS DOESN'T BOTHER
> > YOU AESTHETICALLY (and I rather like it), IT WON'T BOTHER ANYTHING ELSE.*
>
> What's all the shouting about ?

Actually Pete, I'm using a keyboard with a caps lock just under my pinky
and it's always going off... usually i go back & retype but this time I
thought what the hey -- because some things seem to go against a gradient:
and I've never seen a book or article in OUR time that didn't end with
that ritual. (I don't seem to get visible stain myself, maybe my one sign
of grace from on high -- maybe also because my soaks are usually long.)
Anyway, apologies to all for "shouting" (it's been a shoutable week,
though).

> Your assumption is incorrect .I have over the years sort out chemists and put
> this question to them they have said that given the dilution of the sulphuric
> acid, it should not pose any problems, as long as simple soak of a few
> minutes in clean running water follows the treatment

On the one hand, I quite agree... imagining that such dilute affair
unlikely to do harm... But, truth to tell, Pete, entre nous, my experience
is sometimes chemists speak beyond their area of expertise... ? (tho here
I draw the veil). Conservators seem ..... more conservative perhaps.

> Have you other scientific insight ?

Never enough on hand, though hope springs eternal. But -- and I think you
told this once before, permit me to ask for a refresher: Why the sulfuric,
which I prefer not to handle (tho I have, I will, I can), instead of
relatively benign sodium sulfite, or even k bisulfate... A half teaspoon,
no pouring of strong stuff ????

> > I think this a load of nonsnse. If you are doing multi- colour print
> > controling that green stain gives real problems. Also given a bit of care
> > and common sense this things do not pose any problem to saftey .As we have
> > seen vis a vi the chrome /.dichromate debate in which you took a similar
> > stance ie commen sense rules !

Now here you've got me : WHAT green stain? I've never seen a *green*
stain in gum printing.... Tho when I cleared some paper "sized" with
dichromate in gum arabic in a weak sulfuric bath, it did get a bluish
stain I could never get out. Was a lousy size anyway, so i was happy to
abandon it.... but, again -- *green* stain ???? Stain I've seen was always
orange.

best,

Judy