Re:New Words?

From: Herbert C Maxey (bmaxey1@juno.com)
Date: 03/31/01-04:14:24 PM Z

>>So what do you think is more appropriate :
>>digitography or digitalography that would mean "digital writing"?

To me, this term is hard to use. NO OFFENCE, but did you make it up or is
there a reference to it somewhere? We must be wary of throwing new terms
out there. The term must be accepted and understood. This takes time.

The Greek Definition of the word "graphy" means writing or
representation in a specific and specified manner or way, or by a
specified means. You must be careful when you create a new terms. Words
and definitions only become useful when there is a clear definition of
that word. New words take time to evolve and become accepted.

Also, consider the knowledge level of the public. I wrote a letter this
morning to a friend in Canada. I could refer to ii as a 'holograph', or I
could say I send a holograph to my friend. Few people would understand
what I actually sent, because the word 'holograph' can mean 'a document
entirely in the handwriting of the author'. Most have a completely
different idea of what a 'Holograph' or 'holography' is.

Taking it further, when I post this reply, I could legitimately refer it
to as "Digital Holography, but that would mislead most on this list. It
would be a very accurate term if you go back to the root of the word, but
it would also be confusing, too.

The point is that new terms should be carefully considered and thought
about. A medium must exist between what a term means in its many forms
and how the public will understand the term.

As for "Digital" vs, "Digit" If you must use this "Definition" then use
Digital rather than Digit. Digit can mean 0, 1, 2, 3, ........ It can
mean a single finger, a toe, it is a definition of measure, etc. Digital
implies the computer world. You will notice that no one calls it a digit
computer, or our digit world, or digit signal processing - "Digital" is
accepted and well understood.

B.