Re: Bostick & Sullivan Circle

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/02/01-07:33:32 AM Z

Richard Sullivan wrote:
> 1. How long have you been working in photography? Favorite process?

I haven't been working in photography (as commercial), but have been
working at photography, but not long enough. My favorite process to use
is platinum palladium which I have been at since 1986; there are many I
favor equally to view.

> 2. Influential teachers? Learned on your own?

Basically learned on my own. Eventually a family friend, Mac Doty,
suggested I seek professional help (for printing that is) and I received
instruction from Sal Lopes. Sal taught me the platinum palladium
process and the building of enlarged negatives (analog method). I still
try to get out to visit and learn from other photographers.

> 3. Favorite photographers other than yourself?

Edward Weston, Minor White, Frederick Sommer, Laura Gilpin, Sal Lopes,
William Clift, John Barnier, in general to name some, however there are
many, many others.

> 4. Process you'd like to learn -- someday.

Maybe woodburytype or a carbon variation.

> 5. Most embarrassing time with a camera in your hand. And don't say you've
> never had one!

The camera is usually on a tripod, but I've had plenty happen. The most
recent was last week while photographing a painter. I explained how he
would have to hold a pose for 2 seconds and not move after the first
click, but wait for the second. Everything was ready, I thought I had
the moment, pressed the release cable, and then noted the dark slide was
still in place. I tried to recover by claiming that was a practice for
the exposure interval.

> 6. Worst disaster in the darkroom. You can't say you never had one here either!

Once cleared a print in full strength Phosphric Acid (85% reagent grade)
even though my bottles of working solutions (2 ounces of the former in
one gallon water) are clearly labled and marked. The paper seemed to
turn to pulp. Always keep those gloves handy.

> 7. Your first time shooting a nude, if ever?

The first and only time was my little sister when I was about 10, she
4. Does that count?

> 8. What photographer, living or dead, you'd like to live a week in the life
> of? (David Hamilton does not count!)

None.

> 9. Your dream camera? If you were Bill Gates, what would you buy?

I would have one custom designed and made to my specifications and field
testing. I have never found any camera to work perfectly or hold up to
use. Winds shake and cause vibrations. I have striped thredded knobs.
I don't use most of the range of movements, but there never seems to be
enough rise or fall for the lens (have to use tilts). And it has got to
be light enough. And while we're at it, redesign and lighten the film
holder; at the least have a dark slide lock that works. And might as
well get Schnieder to redesign their lenses.

> 10. If you could have any person in the world as a model for a day, who?
> Portrait, nude, whatever?

Anyone who sparks an inspiration to do so, and I have no preconceived
notion of whom that may be.

> 11. What questions would you ask here?

What questions would you like?

--