Re: Process Colours for Gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/08/01-02:13:01 AM Z

I don't know what to tell you about this, Dave, since things depend on
other things so much in gum. When I first started doing tricolor gum, I
found that with process-like colors, I got a Cibachrome-like brilliance
and saturation that I hated, since one of my reasons to go alt was an
abhorrence for color saturation. It's been many years since I had and
overcame that problem, so I can't tell you exactly what colors I used,
except one was Thalo Blue and one wasn't Alizarin Crimson since I've
never used that color. But they were colors that were chosen to
approximate process colors.

Maybe it's not the colors, maybe it's something else that's affecting
the contrast and making your colors more muted. Maybe the proportion of
sensitizer in the emulsion, or your light source... Who knows?

Actually, I'm the wrong one to ask. There are people who print brilliant
saturated colors on purpose, they would be better sources of information
on this.
Katharine Thayer