Re: Where can I get sodium dichromate?

From: George Huczek (ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: 05/09/01-05:06:45 PM Z

At 02:09 PM 09/05/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can get sodium dichromate, preferably as a
>saturated solution? Also, does anyone have some advice on handling the
>stuff? It looks pretty nasty.

Which country are you ordering from? Some of the other posts replying to
this do not make that clear, and I can not tell from your email address.

I would recommend you buy it in powdered form. It is lighter to ship, and
it is not usually stocked as a saturated solution by suppliers. It is easy
to make up a saturated solution by yourself.

What process(es) are you using it for? In some cases, other dichromates
may be preferable. Sodium dichromate is less soluble than some other
commonly used dichromates.

Any dichromates require some common sense in handling; they are known
carcinogens and mutagens in lab animals, and suspected to be so in humans.
I have extensive training in chemistry, so handling it is nothing out of
the ordinary for me. (Avoid breathing in the dust when mixing from a
powder, wear protective lab gloves and use eye protection, and it can be
handled without getting paranoid about its hazards. It is commonly
absorbed by the body through skin and membranes, by ingestion, and by
inhalation.)

I can suggest several places where it can be obtained in Canada or the US.
Contact me privately for a few suppliers.