Re: gum over platinum and the like

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 05/09/01-10:18:58 PM Z

I've had interesting results with Cyanotype/Gum printing. For example,
making a 'full color' sunset using a B&W neg: Exposure 1, weak Cyanotype,
exposing only into shadows and darker midtones. Exposure 2, a medium
exposure with Gum (red pigment), yielding beautiful purple shadows ranging
into brilliant red midtones. Then number 3, a strong, but relatively thin
exposure of Gum (yellow pigment), resulting in purple/black shadows, warm
red midtones, and bright yellow highlights. The final print, an Arizona
cactus sunset, would be judged as either spectacular or garish! depending on
your personal taste.

I also like printing raw umber, carbon black, and similar pigments over
Cyanotype. It takes the hard blue edge off the print, and creates a
beautiful range of tones, which I find especially effective for certain
subjects. I printed a negative of a fog-enshrouded mountain stream in
Montana with this method. The result is absolutely stunning - far more
powerful than a conventional B&W silver print.

More ideas: Selectively brush the soft gum emulsion (while it's
developing/dissolving) off the print to enhance/emphasize the underlying
Cyanotype. Use both postitives and negatives when multiple printing.

Artistic ends that I try to acheive? Simply to make prints that make me say
WOW!. Prints that elicit an emotional response within myself, and hopefully
within those who view my work.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy