RE: gum over platinum and the like

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 05/10/01-04:52:25 AM Z

At 18:36 09.05.01 -0500, you wrote:
>I frequently print gum over platinum (as well as kallitype and palladium).
>I have two approaches:
>
>1) In printing from a B&W negative, I'll print about 90% of the image in
>metal. Gum is used to enhance the print in subtle ways, similar to a
>"duotone" or "tritone" mode in Photoshop. Fascinating effects can sometimes
>be gained with using very small amounts of contrasting colors such as green
>and red, each layer printed with a separate negative.
>
>2) Printing with gum, I sometimes use a metal for the black component in a
>CMYK process. The platinum or kallitype adds "punch" to the picture, but in
>this instance, takes a back seat to the colors of the gum.

I first have a technical question here: does the kallitype not get
partially bleached by the dichromate? I tried to print over a salt print,
and this is what happened - I printed the salt print on the already sized
and hardened paper, though.
And, if you print with gum over platinum, do you close shadows, or do you
take care they remain open?
What do you mean with "separate negative": digital, I presume (?), but
different in which ways?

Lukas