Re: Process Colors for Gum

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 05/10/01-08:32:27 PM Z

>>But for one thing, you don't gain a gum print. You can't make a gum
>>print with a dye, because it stains the paper..... And in the 2nd place
>>PERMANENT PIGMENTS ARE ALWAYS MORE PERMANENT >>THAN DYES, which is why
Epson
>>vaunts its new pigment printers, which are in other ways more difficult
>>than the dye ink printers.

Do not make the same old argument that in ALL cases, Dyes are less
permanent than pigments. This simply is not the case. We have excellent
track records with both dyes as well as pigments. Some dyes are
exceedingly permanent and some pigments are fugitive. Just because it is
termed a dye or a pigment really means little in every case. DT Prints
and Technicolor Prints are perfect examples of how well a dye can last.

Kodachrome film is also a color material that uses dyes. Were you aware
of this? The image in a Kodachrome slide is composed only of dyes, and
there is no doubt that if they are taken care of will last centuries. As
for the Epsom, there is no proof that their stability is permanent - here
again, pigments are not always permanent. Many are but not all.

Some dyes are actually used to manufacture pigments. Pigment is not a
useful term to describe the colorant's characteristics. Many pigments
come from natural sources, but some also come out of a lab.

>>This may be an argument for the old dye transfer process (which died
for
>>various good or bad reasons) as more permanent than other color from
>>silver processes, but it's non-advice for gum printing, which was the
>>topic.

OK I am big enough to admit that perhaps dyes might stain paper. However,
I have seen images made with water soluble materials that do color the
paper, but can be easily bleached away because of additives made to the
dyestuffs used. I believe the dyes were mordant type dyes. So I will
accept that you are correct, but will reserve acceptance until later.

Incidentally, DT died because the only manufacturer of materials stopped
making the materials. Matrix film being the biggest problem. There are
still DT Printers out there. Incidentally, DT uses dyes as well, and have
potential longevity lasting centuries.

Some tube artist colors also use dyes. You might purchase a pigment
artist color, but in some cases the color can be a dye. Technically a
pigment is anything that imparts color. As for dyes, there are many
different types out there - organic as well as inorganic, AZO and
Metallic Based. Thousands of dyes..

>>A gum print made from archival pigments is as permanent as the paper.
>>There really is no reason the *color* can't match cibachrome should you
>>get such craving, tho odds are if that's your aesthetic you're
somewhere
>>else.

It is all a matter of personal taste. Strong color or muted - it is up to
the printer to decide. As for the first comment, you can't guarantee this
because it is all theoretical. You might be able to sat this is as
permanent as that, but everyone used different processes and formulas and
this can affect longevity.

B.