Re: Gum "tanning" process

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/13/01-01:51:52 PM Z

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Katharine Thayer wrote:
> ... The only thing I did find was a reference recommended by
> someone on this list: Jaromir Kosar, Light-sensitive systems: chemistry
> and application of nonsilver halide photographic processes, 1965, part
> of the Wiley series on photographic science. This sounds just jim-dandy,
> but since I'm out in the sticks with no library access, it's not
> terribly helpful to me.

I have that book and have read the relevant pages, don't remember anything
that would apply to this discussion (which I admit I don't fully
understand), but I'll check again, with that in mind. I'll add that my
experience with such books (and I recently came across an example in
Clerc) is that statements are often made, not from observation, but from
theory, that are not borne out in practice. The theory is perhaps correct
as far as it goes, but where it goes is not necessarily to this particular
place.

I also repeat what I've already repeated -- I almost never see the stain
spoken of here in orange, and in gray-green only when I "cleared" stain
from an attempt at a gum arabic/am di size in Pete's sulfuric acid bath --
which suggests to me that it is NOT intrinsic to light/chromium/colloid
per se, but to certain uses of it/them.

Judy