Re: Digitan(sic) Negs

From: Ricardo Wildberger Lisboa (wildberger@svn.com.br)
Date: 05/13/01-10:06:38 PM Z

Dear B,

But in what cases do you have to scan an image big as a magazine cover in
full resolution ? You need only to scan on a level of resolution enough to
produce a 300 dpi image at the final format. On that sense if you want to
get a 16x20 image enlarged from a 8x10 original, all you have to do is to
scan it at 1200 dpi resolution. If it ends up at 236.71 mb, you can compress
it to fit a 100 mb Zip, or save it on a CD (indeed two and a half without
any compression), or even send the file by e-mail.

Concerning the high cost of an imagesetter, you don't need to afford one,
but what a good service bureau charges you to print on film a specific well
produced file. Isn't it ?

Anyway, I have to agree that nothing compares to the continuous tone you get
on film.

Ricardo