Re: Re: Digitan(sic) Negs - Discipline and Big Cameras

From: Thor Bols (thorbols@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/14/01-03:34:29 PM Z

Certainly the added inconvenience and cost of the large format will incite a
greater degree of care. But is that good? Will this necessarily result in
better photographs? Terry Roth quoted Minor White: "Let the subject
generate its own photograph. Become a camera." and then Terry said, "Working
with a really big camera imposes this kind of discipline."

Along the lines of "becoming a camera", Minor White wrote, "This moment,
this period of seeing the picture and exposure, has an element of blank for
me. It seems similar to the Zen archer who does not know when the arrow is
released because he does not release it, it takes over. This is the kind of
blankness I mean"

I fail to see how a large camera will bring about this "blankness" or if
White was referring to having "discipline" as being an advantage. In fact,
it seems as if he were encouraging something completely opposite to the
notion of discipline: freedom, spontaneity, and loss of self.

Just a thought.