RE: Digital Negs - Gentle Rebuttal

From: Nick Frazier (giganerd@mindspring.com)
Date: 05/15/01-12:20:21 AM Z

>Digital is the future, and I have no problems with it. Use it if you want
>to, but please do not forget the amazing possibilities of a traditional
>approach.

>B.

Just to add my proverbial two cents here... There will always be the
hobbyists, such as myself, who appreciate the increased options the digital
darkroom can give to a photographer, but place a greater value on the
"playing-in-the-sandbox" experience one gets with traditional processes. The
experience is just as distinct whether your goal is that of superlatives
(sharper, blacker, etc...) or of pure expression (funnier, uglier, etc...).

Hopefully there will always be those of us who carry the torch and pass on
the tools and techniques of chemically-based photography to future
generations. Perhaps the traditional darkroom will die out for a few dozen
years, but it will invaribly be re-discovered by some enterprising student
and it will again rise as a viable medium.(sound familiar? :)

Either way, as long as people are still driving around with manual
transmissions, and as long as people are still using morse code, there will
be people who still convert silver halides to silver ions.

Nick