RE: "Become a camera"

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: 05/15/01-08:16:49 AM Z

I thank you for these comments, for they ideally serve to delineate the
differences between the (traditional) Eastern and Western approaches to art
and life. I've read much of what Minor White had to say, and I agree that
his true talents lie in photography, not the printed word. But any student
of Zen, or for that matter, a student of Eastern philosophy in general will
find Minor White's writing to be perfectly understandable. No, it is not
rooted in Western logic, and thus it stands, for good or bad, out of range
of our Western analysis. One can not "defend" the Zen approach, at least
*I* cannot in a short, off-topic e-mail response, but I can certainly say
that much of what is written in explanation or defense of Zen is not easily
"parsed". "The sound of one hand clapping". Parse that.

"Octave of Prayer" changed my life. As an impressionable student, and an
aspiring painter, I discovered the catalog to this exhibition in 1972 and
decided at that time to try using a camera for personal expression. While
my photographic work has departed from this approach, I still often refer to
these works for inspiration.