Re: Kosar revisited ...Re: Gum Green

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/21/01-02:30:50 AM Z

When I said that Kosar's chapter was exactly to the point of the topic
(chemistry of the gum tanning process) I certainly didn't mean that
everything in Kosar is gospel truth, or that everything that's important
or true about the gum tanning process is contained in Kosar. What I
meant was that it was useful to me in that it addressed the exact topic
of the dichromated oxidation of colloids, that it contained the
equations I wanted to see, and what's more it confirmed my suspicion
that the chemistry of the process is not well understood, and more
specifically that no one knows for sure whether the chromium binds to
the gum. There was nothing in Kosar that undermined my own thinking,
which is new and different from what anyone has thought about this
process before, as far as I can tell. This is how science proceeds.

Katharine Thayer

 Since I found several statements