Re: Filters: (was Re: Field Cameras)

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 05/22/01-08:17:31 AM Z

Tom Ferguson wrote:

>This thread has been going for quite a while, so I'll add my 2 cents. Early
>on I was very concerned about "filter types". Much to my surprise, a few
>tests show VERY little differance.
>
>IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm a BIG fan of using lens shades / bellow shades in
>outdoor work (and usually in the studio). So all filters (and lenses) in my
>tests were shaded.
>
>For those that have followed my threads, this was back in my "I want to
>Brett Weston" shooting outdoors days :-) I'm usually happily "self
>limited" to studio work today.
>
>I set up both my 35mm and 4x5 field camera outside and shot a scene with
>lots of fine detail and difficult "dark bare branches against bright sky".
>I shot both systems without filter, with assorted gels, non coated glass
>filters, coated glass filters, and "plastic" Cokin filters.
>
>The Cokins were nearly (but not quite) perfect, the gels were well used (did
>show use). Much to my amazement, when developed and printed: I couldn't see
>much difference. Printed big and stared at with "nose to print" intensity:
>I like glass best, Cokin next, and gels least (remember that my gels were by
>far in the worst shape). But, viewed and printed normally: NO REAL
>DIFFERANCE!
>
>Relax! Either do a similar test to convince yourself, or go out and happily
>make your filtered "snaps".
>
>--
>Tom Ferguson
>http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com

Oh well, I did a similar test about ten years ago on 5X7 film, with 1) new
gels, 2) Cokin type plastic filters, and 3) good quality but uncoated glass
with different results. Same type filter (or as close as I could come).
All of the tests were made on the front of the lens but well shaded with an
Ambico bellows shade. The gelatin filter image was definitely the best of
the three when the negatives were viewed on a light table with a loupe, the
Cokin type by far the worst. Flare was not a problem, but there was a
clearly discernible difference in image quality between the three filters
at the corners of the field.

Sandy King