Re: alternative to collodion

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 05/22/01-02:55:39 AM Z

> I have heard that there is a liquid gelatin silver emulsion that works
> well on glass as an alternative to collodion. I've worked with luminos
> and liquid light, but someone told me there is another product that
> works better on glass and metal. Does anyone know what it is?
>
> Thanks,
> Alyson B.

Alyson

I think the Luminos is probably still the 'better emulsion' made
by Kentmere and sold under various names including SE1 and Fotospeed LE30.
Tetenal also sold either this or a very similar product.

You will find the book 'Silver Gelatin - A user's guide to Liquid
Photographic Emulsions' by Martin Reed and Sarah Jones has everything you
need to know about using liquid emulsions. And more. Martin at least
occasionally reads this list and his company Silverprint has a website at
http://www.silverprint.co.uk

However I don't think you can say that liquid gelatin emulsions are
exactly an alternative to collodion. They are rather different and if you
want the unique properties of collodion there is no alternative. Of course
both can be used to make images on glass plates.

See http://www.collodion-artist.com/ and
http://www.cwreenactors.com/collodion/ if you are interested in more on
current collodion work.

Peter Marshall