Re: Back in alt-photo : Digital Negatives

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 05/25/01-11:05:22 AM Z

You said in your message...

>For inkjet negs, what are the "in" printers. Looking over the Epson
>site, I see there are a bunch of new printers since my 700 photo. Do the
>new ones offer much above and beyond on my current printer?

Hi Adam,

By way of a quick note addressing one of your questions: the
now-discontinued Epson 1270 makes very good negs with the Pictorico OHP
film and proper curve. The 1280 is an entirely different beast. It floods
the film with ink (Espon's is going to make MUCH more money on inks with
this new model), so much so that even the Pictorico OHP film has trouble
holding the dyes in its gel coating.

As time permits, I'm going to be running tests with the 1280 but if you
want to get started with your own testing on that model, I'd suggest
going back to an orange colored "spectral density" type neg as discussed
in my book. That should address the ink flooding problem.

Overall, the 1280 doesn't offer much reason to upgrade from a 1270. The
1280 will print full-bleed 13x19 and has higher resolution in one axis
(2880 as opposed to the 1270's 1440). I doubt you'll ever SEE the
difference in a print or neg.

On the down side, Epson's done this goofy thing with the low ink warning
lights. Instead of using separate lights for the color and black
cartridges, you now have to memorize (or more likely consult the stinking
manual) a "code" to know which blinking light pattern means what. It's a
stupid system that probably got an engineer in Japan a bonus because he
saved $0.07 per printer. Oh well.

Other good options are to use Quadtone inks with printers that accept
them.

Good luck!

Dan