For D. Bryant

BKPhoto@aol.com
Date: 05/28/01-07:57:07 PM Z

Don,

As it happens, I'm scanning Pyro negatives, 35mm, MF and 4x5. I use a
Polaroid 4000 for the 35mm, the Linocolor for everything else. Pyro does not
present any special issues that I am aware of. My scanner is aging, capable
of only a 1000 optical dpi scan, with a dynamic range of 3.2.

Resolution is important (the optical dpi), but you may find that the dynamic
range is more important if you are trying to capture the longest possible
tonal range from your film original. Depending on your budget, look for good
numbers (optical dpi, dynamic range, bit depth) but be especially aware of
the software. I choose a Linocolor when I made my initial purchases about
three years ago because Lincolor is made by Heidelberg, the prepress company
that authored the ColorSync software used by Apple. I've had fewer color
management issues than my colleagues. Bottom line: software if critical.

By the way, I am using the Cone Piezography software and inks on both an
Epson 3000 and an 1160. The 1160 is, by far, the superior machine. Its only
limitation is that the carriage is a bit smaller...13 inches instead of the
17 inch carriage on the 3000. I think you will be very surprised by what your
1160 will be capable of once you've installed the Cone software and inks. I
also use a CIS system, which I recommend. It will pay for itself with the
first set of inks. In my opinion, Cone is the clear leader in third party, or
"guerilla", inkjet printing. His materials are worth every penny. I've just
installed a Cone color system on an Epson 1200 and will be making my first
color prints later this week.

Best of luck. You can correspond with me off list if you want additional
information.

Bill Kennedy